Disclosure: We may earn commissions if you purchase products after clicking on a link from our site.
Are you interested in learning how to catch Atlantic salmon? Do you want to take up a new fishing challenge? Atlantic salmon is a great game fish and is delicious fish. You can find Atlantic salmon in rivers and lakes, saltwater estuaries, freshwater streams, and the ocean.
In this article, we will discuss the popular fishing methods used when fishing for Atlantic salmon, fishing tips on how to catch Atlantic salmon, the best baits and lures to catch Atlantic salmon, and other Atlantic salmon information.
Table of Contents
- 1 How To Catch Atlantic Salmon
- 2 Best Bait For Atlantic Salmon
- 3 Best Lures For Atlantic Salmon
- 4 Atlantic Salmon Fishing Setup
- 5 Salmon Fishing Rig
- 6 How To Catch Atlantic Salmon In Maine
- 7 Atlantic Salmon Fishing Tips
- 8 The Bottom Line
How To Catch Atlantic Salmon
Atlantic salmon is located in the northwestern United States and Canada. It lives in the ocean and moves inland to freshwaters when it is time for spawning. Anglers like fishing for Atlantic salmon because it puts up a good fight when caught, is a good table fare, and its an awesome leaping ability.
Drift fishing, fly fishing, jigging, still fishing, and trolling are some of the fishing methods used when fishing for Atlantic salmon.
1. Fly Fishing
Fly fishing is one of the popular fishing methods used to catch Atlantic salmon. Flies are cast and retrieved and repeated until a fish bites. When this happens, you set the hook and bring in the catch. One popular fishing technique anglers use when fishing for Atlantic salmon is called swinging flies.
When implementing swinging flies, you cast downstream to the opposite shore. Let the fly flow with the current and swing across. This process is repeated until there is a bite.
2. Drift Fishing
Drift fishing involves drifting the boat with the water current as your bait drifts with the boat. This drifting of the bait mimics the movement of baitfish and this attracts fish to bite.
Jigging is often used when fish is deeper in the water column. The jig is dropped to the depth you want to target fish or at the bottom. When there is a bite, you set the hook and bring the fish to the surface and get it into the boat.
4. Still Fishing
Still fishing is a simple fishing method that involves dropping the bait into the water and just waiting for a bite. It is ideal when you are learning how to catch Atlantic salmon. Additionally, still fishing is ideal for fishing from the pier, dock, or bridge.
Trolling is another fishing method that allows you to move the bait over water and attract the attention of fish. When trolling, the boat moves slowly over the water as the bait moves over the water at the back of the boat. When there is a strike, you take the rod, set the hook in, and reel in the fish.
Baitcasting is another fishing method that is used when fishing for Atlantic salmon. it is a good method for beginners who are learning how to catch Atlantic salmon. The bait is cast and retrieved until you get a bite.
Best Bait For Atlantic Salmon
- Cut Bait
Cut bait works well when fishing for Atlantic salmon. It is also good bait for a beginner who is learning how to catch Atlantic salmon.
Menhaden is a good bait to use when fishing for Atlantic salmon.
Mullet works well as bait for Atlantic salmon.
Herring is effective when fishing for Atlantic salmon. It is ideal when learning how to catch Atlantic salmon.
Pilchard is another bait that works well when fishing for Atlantic salmon.
Best Lures For Atlantic Salmon
The popular fishing method used by anglers to catch Atlantic salmon is fly fishing. Flies are used when fly fishing to catch Atlantic salmon.
Plugs also work well when fishing for Atlantic salmon.
Spoons are also very effective as lures when fishing for Atlantic salmon.
Atlantic Salmon Fishing Setup
When fishing for Atlantic salmon a 7-foot fishing rod and matching reel with about 150 meters of line capacity will work when fishing for Atlantic salmon. The fishing line should also be one that works well with the rod and reel. There are many fishing lines to choose from and it will be a matter of preference. The full Spey line is one option and shooting head is another.
Salmon Fishing Rig
There are many fishing rigs that can be used when fishing for Atlantic salmon.
1. Carolina Rig
The Carolina rig is a popular and effective fishing rig used by anglers when fishing for a variety of fish. It is often used when casting for fish.
2. Drift Rig
The drift rig is also an effective rig when fishing for Atlantic salmon. It is used when fishing for fish that are deep in the water column and often found at the bottom.
3. Drop Shot Rig
The drop shot rig is another popular and effective rig that anglers use when fishing. It can be used to fish in deep and shallow waters.
How To Catch Atlantic Salmon In Maine
Fly fishing is the commonly used fishing method when fishing for Atlantic salmon in Maine. During fall and spring, you can find Atlantic salmon close to the shore. Casting and trolling are other fishing methods that can be used to catch Atlantic salmon when fishing in Maine. Streamer flies and lures that look like smelt work well when fishing for Atlantic salmon.
Atlantic Salmon Fishing Tips
- Atlantic salmon can be found in freshwater streams, lakes, rivers, saltwater estuaries, and the ocean.
2. An interesting phenomenon about Atlantic salmon is that it takes on a different appearance when it is in freshwater. It will look similar to a trout when in freshwater but in the ocean it will have a silvery appearance speckled with sparse, dark markings resembling “Xs” or “Ys”.
3. Atlantic salmon moves inland to spawn.
4. It changes color from silver to rusty-bronze when moving inland to spawn to attract a mate.
5. Drop-offs, dams, falls, current edges, rocks, undercut banks, and outside of bends are some of the areas to look for Atlantic salmon.
6. Atlantic salmon fights hard when hooked and has excellent ability.
7. Jigging, still fishing, trolling, fly fishing, and drift fishing are some of the fishing methods anglers use when fishing for Atlantic salmon.
8. When fly fishing for Atlantic salmon, match your fly to the color of the water.
9. Big flies work best on cold days.
10. A salmon fishing rig also works well when fishing for Atlantic salmon.
11. An effective method for catching Atlantic salmon is called swing. When implementing swing, place the lure downstream at a 45-degree angle and let it float on the current, and swing by the fish.
The Bottom Line
Atlantic salmon is a favorite game fish for anglers as it puts up a spirited fight when hooked, has an excellent leaping ability, and is a delicious fish. it can be found in rivers and lakes, saltwater estuaries, freshwater streams, and the ocean.
In this article, we discussed how to catch Atlantic salmon, the fishing methods often used, the best baits and lures used by anglers, the popular fishing rigs used as well as the fishing setup to catch Atlantic salmon. You can also read how to catch salmon, how to catch alligator gar, how to catch tilefish, and how to catch arctic char.