Disclosure: We may earn commissions if you purchase products after clicking on a link from our site.
Are you interested in learning how to catch albacore tuna? Albacore tuna are highly sought after by anglers. They are identified by their elongated pectoral fins. You can find them in temperate and tropical oceans including the Atlantic, Indian, and Pacific Oceans.
In this article, we will discuss how to catch albacore tuna, the baits and lures, as well as fishing tackle to finally catch this fish.
Table of Contents
How To Catch Albacore Tuna
Albacore tuna likes areas where cool and warm waters mix. They travel in large packs and travel vast distances. You can catch Albacore tuna on bait and lures. They have good stamina and will hard and long until exhaustion when caught. Trolling, jigging, drift fishing, and chumming are fishing methods used to catch them.
Albacore tuna are located by trolling. Anglers will slowly move their boats over water while looking for Albacore tuna on their monitors. When they are located, chumming can be used to get them closer to the boat.
Chumming is used when fishing for Albacore tuna. Pieces of bait are dropped into the water to attract them. When they are eating the bits of bait, you then drop your bait with the hook.
3. Drift Fishing
Fishing for Albacore tuna can also be done using drift fishing. When drift fishing, anglers will move their boats with the water current. This allows the bait to move slowly over different habitats thereby attracting a variety of fish.
Jigging is also used to catch Albacore tuna. Jigs are dropped to the bottom to get the attention of Albacore tuna. When they are attracted and bite, the hook is set, and the fish is reeled in. Metal jigs and other jigs are often used when fishing for Albacore tuna.
Albacore Tuna Fishing Tackle
Conventional and spinning tackle can be used when fishing for Albacore tuna. If you are using baits and lures to catch Albacore tuna, a 20-30 lb test line will work.
Best Baits For Albacore Tuna
Squid is one of the best baits to use when fishing for Albacore tuna. it is ideal when learning how to catch Albacore tuna.
Sardines work well as bait when fishing for Albacore tuna.
Anchovies are effective as bait when fishing for Albacore tuna.
Best Lures For Albacore Tuna
- Cedar plugs
Cedar plugs are trolling lures that work when trolling for Albacore tuna.
2. Tuna feathers
Tuna feathers also work well as lures when fishing for Albacore tuna.
3. Soft plastics
Soft plastics work well as lures to catch Albacore tuna.
4. Metal jigs
Metal jigs are also used by anglers to catch Albacore tuna once it is located.
Spoons also work well when fishing for Albacore tuna.
Albacore Tuna Fishing Tips
- Albacore tuna spawn in the winter.
2. Albacore Tuna likes areas where cool and warm waters mix.
3. Squid, sardines, and anchovies are some of the baits used to catch Albacore tuna.
4. Albacore tuna will put up a long and hard fight when caught.
5. Trolling, jigging, drift fishing, and chumming are fishing methods used when fishing for Albacore tuna.
6. Cedar plugs, tuna feathers, metal jigs, and soft plastics are some of the lures used to catch Albacore tuna.
7. Albacore tuna is always on the move. Swimming a lot of distance in their lifetimes.
8. Albacore tuna can go on long runs when hooked; therefore, bring enough line when fishing them.
9. Albacore tuna can be caught on lures and baits.
10. When fishing for Albacore tuna, search for them around the edges and canyon tips.
11. Albacore tuna are attracted to Green Machines. Create a trail of Green Machines and Albacore tuna will show up.
12. Zigzag the boat so that the lures move in and out of the water. Albacore tuna is attracted to the movement of lures going in and out of the water.
13. Albacore tuna travel in large packs. When you catch one, work that area as there may be others in that area.
14. Conventional and spinning tackle can be used to catch Albacore tuna.
15. Albacore tuna is a schooling fish.
16. Albacore tuna has good eyesight. Therefore, fluorocarbon leader is the best option to reduce visibility.
The Bottom Line
Albacore tuna is a sought-after fish. They are found in the Atlantic, Pacific, and Indian Oceans. In the United States, Albacore tuna are found on the west coast. They are tasty, fight hard, and make long runs when hooked.
Additionally, they can be caught using bait and lures. Anglers usually troll the waters to locate them. Chumming is also used to attract them to the boat. In this article, we discussed how to catch Albacore tuna, the baits and lures to use as well as share more information about this tasty fish to help you catch them. You can also read how to catch bigeye tuna, how to catch yellowfin tuna, how to catch alligator gar, and how to catch blackfin tuna.