Disclosure: We may earn commissions if you purchase products after clicking on a link from our site.
Whether you’re a seasoned airsoft pro or just starting out, it’s important to know how to clean your airsoft gun properly. Not cleaning your gun can lead to decreased accuracy, decreased performance, and even damage to the internal parts of the gun.
In this step-by-step guide, we will walk you through how to clean an airsoft gun in detail. By following these simple steps, you can keep your airsoft rifle in top condition for years to come!
Table of Contents
- 1 Types of Airsoft Guns
- 2 How To Choose An Airsoft Gun?
- 3 How To Clean an Airsoft Rifle?
- 4 Airsoft Gun Maintenance Tips
- 5 How To Unjam An Airsoft Gun?
- 6 What Do You Need To Clean an Airsoft Rifle?
- 7 Airsoft Gun Accessories
- 8 The Bottom Line
Types of Airsoft Guns
There are three types of airsoft guns – gas, electric, and spring-powered. Each type of gun has its own unique cleaning requirements.
1. Gas-Powered Airsoft Gun
A gas-powered airsoft gun uses compressed gas to propel the BBs. Propane is the most common type of gas used.
2. Electric Airsoft Gun
An electric airsoft gun uses a battery-powered motor to drive a piston that propels the BBs.
3. Spring-Powered Airsoft Gun
A spring-powered airsoft gun uses a mechanical spring to power the gun.
How To Choose An Airsoft Gun?
1. Type of Game
When you are choosing which airsoft gun, the type of game you will play should factor heavily into your decision-making process. If you will mostly be involved in close-quarters combat, then you need a smaller and lighter airsoft gun that allows you to be highly mobile and maneuver quickly. However, if you will be engaged in more long-range combat, then you should opt for an airsoft gun with better accuracy and range.
The weight of the airsoft rifle is also a factor to consider when choosing an airsoft rifle. How light or heavy do you want the airsoft to be? A lighter rifle is easier to maneuver in combat while a heavier one is not the best for maneuvering and close combat.
The price is another important factor to consider. How much can you spend on an airsoft rifle? That will determine the rifle you eventually choose.
How To Clean an Airsoft Rifle?
1. Remove the Magazine
The very first thing to do is remove the magazine from the airsoft gun if it is still attached.
2. Remove Any BBs From the Gun
If there are any BBs still in the airsoft gun, you will have to remove them. You can manually get them out or discharge them into a soft surface.
3. Remove Any Debris From the Gun
Use compressed air to remove dirt, dust, and debris from inside the airsoft gun. As you spray the gun with compressed air, move it around to get rid of the dust, dirt, and debris that may be inside.
4. Clean the Barrel of the Gun
Clean the inside of the barrel with a cleaning rod and a patch. Cleaning swabs can also be used to clean the inside of the barrel.
5. Clean the Exterior
Clean the exterior of the airsoft gun with a cleaning cloth. Clean the body, barrel, and magazine.
6. Lubricate the Airsoft Gun
After cleaning the airsoft rifle, lubricate the moving parts of the airsoft gun, including the barrel, trigger, and magazine to keep it working smoothly and prevent rusting.
7. Clean the Receiver, Battery, Sights, Trigger & Motor
Finally, you need to clean the receiver, battery, sights, trigger, and motor. Use a cloth or brush and carefully remove any dirt or debris.
Airsoft Gun Maintenance Tips
1. Don’t rapid-fire the airsoft gun. This can cause the o-ring to freeze.
2. Don’t slam the magazine into the gun. This can cause the mag lips and nozzle in the slide to break causing the airsoft gun to misfire.
3. Don’t empty the magazine before allowing the gun to cool off for a short period of time. This weakens the follower spring.
4. Make sure the slide is not fully retracted for protracted periods of time. This weakens the recoil spring.
5. Keep a small amount of gas in the magazine to keep the o-rings lubricated when the airsoft gun is not being used for a period of time.
6. Don’t operate the airsoft gun in cold weather as that impedes its performance.
7. Don’t leave a magazine full of gas as this can cause the o-rings to deform.
8. Clean and lubricate the airsoft gun every 1 to 2 months after every game.
9. Don’t release all of the gas in the magazine. This results in permanent leakage because of deformed and frozen o-rings.
How To Unjam An Airsoft Gun?
It is a common problem for your airsoft gun to get jammed. This problem can be easily resolved by following these steps.
1. Detach the magazine and remove any BBs that are stuck inside.
2. Remove the battery and disconnect the motor.
3. Use a cleaning rod to insert a cleaning cloth through the barrel from the breech end to the muzzle.
4. Clean the gun with a cloth.
5. Reassemble the gun.
What Do You Need To Clean an Airsoft Rifle?
1. Cleaning Rod
2. Cotton Swabs
3. Compressed Air
4. Cleaning Cloths
3. Airsoft Mask
The airsoft mask is used to protect your face in the game.
The Bottom Line
It is important to clean your airsoft gun for peak performance and good maintenance. It is a simple and methodical process to clean an airsoft rifle. In this article, we discussed not only how to clean an airsoft rifle, but also how to maintain it, how to unjam it, and other airsoft gun information. We reviewed the best airsoft rifles and you can read it from this link.