Disclosure: We may earn commissions if you purchase products after clicking on a link from our site.
Bonito is a species of tuna that is found all over the world. Would you like to learn how to catch bonito? It is very strong and likes long runs. Many anglers like bonito as a gamefish as it fights hard and eats almost anything. In this article, we discuss the fishing methods, fishing tips, equipment, and behaviors of the fish that helps you catch bonito.
Table of Contents
- 1 How To Catch Bonito
- 2 Bonito Fishing Setup
- 3 How To Catch Bonito In Florida
- 4 How To Catch Bonito In North Carolina
- 5 How To Catch Bonito In California
- 6 How To Catch Bonito In The Gulf
- 7 How To Catch Bonito From A Boat
- 8 How To Catch Bonito In New Jersey
- 9 How To Catch Bonito From Shore
- 10 Best Bonito Bait
- 11 Best Bonito Lures
- 12 Bonito Fishing Tips
- 13 The Bottom Line
How To Catch Bonito
Trolling can be used to catch bonito. When trolling, you put the bait on the hook and attach the line to the back of the boat. Move the boat slowly at about 3 to 7 knots. As the boat moves slowly, bonito will be attracted to the bait or lure and when it strikes, you take the rod and set in the hook. Then with the help of others, you reel in the fish. Live bait or lures can be used to troll for bonito.
Chumming is a fishing technique to get the attention of fish and whip them into a feeding frenzy. When chumming, you drop pieces of bait into the water at different intervals to attract fish when the scent of the cut bait permeates the water. When the fish eat the little pieces of cut bait, you then drop your bait on the hook into the water to catch fish.
Jigging is another fishing method to attract and catch fish. Drop the line to the bottom and after a few seconds of the bait sitting at the bottom, quickly pull it up and let it drop back down to the bottom. This quick and upward motion can attract the attention of fish that will strike to get the bait. Jigging can be up and down or side to side.
4. Bait Casting
Bait casting is a fishing method in which you cast the bait into the water and then reel it back in. Bait casting covers a lot of water very quickly. Additionally, bait casting requires the casting and retrieval motions to be continuous. When a fish is attracted to the bait and gets hooked, the angler reels it back in and gets the fish.
Bonito Fishing Setup
A 7-foot medium heavy rod with a 4000-size spinning reel with a smooth drag rated for 20 to 30 pounds will work for bonito fishing.
How To Catch Bonito In Florida
Bonito is a pelagic fish which means it is found in open waters. However, they can sometimes be found in shallow waters as shallow as 15 feet. It is a schooling fish and will be found in schools. They eat anything and baits as well as lures can be used when fishing for bonito. Trolling, drift fishing, casting, and jigging are some of the fishing methods used to catch them.
How To Catch Bonito In North Carolina
Bonito can be found off the coast of North Carolina in open waters. They roam the waters in schools and eat anything they can find. Bonito are aggressive and this works to the advantage of the anglers. Baits and lures are used when fishing for bonito. Fly fishing, vertical jigging, casting, trolling, and drift fishing are used to catch bonito.
How To Catch Bonito In California
Bonito is a migratory fish that roam the open waters but can also be found in nearshore kelp forests. Sardines, anchovies, small fishes, and squid are some of the marine life that they feed on. Trolling and casting are used when fishing for bonito in California.
How To Catch Bonito In The Gulf
When fishing for bonito in the Gulf, look in open waters where they are often found. You will spot a school of them as they migrate from one area to another. Bonito is an aggressive fish and will eat anything it finds.
Squid, sardines, anchovies, and small baitfish are what they prey on. Trolling is one of the popular fishing methods used to catch bonito. Casting, vertical jigging, drift fishing, and fly fishing are also used to catch bonito.
How To Catch Bonito From A Boat
When fishing for bonito from a boat, you can use chumming to attract them to your boat. They are always out in the open waters in a school. They are always moving and eat anchovies, sardines, small fish, and squid. Lures and baits are used when fishing for bonito. Drift fishing, trolling, vertical jigging, and casting are fishing methods used to catch bonito.
How To Catch Bonito In New Jersey
When fishing for bonito in New Jersey, fish at the break of dawn. They will be found in schools out in open waters. Use squid, sardines, small fish, and anchovies when fishing for bonito. Drift fishing, trolling, fly fishing, vertical jigging, and casting are some of the fishing methods used to catch bonito.
How To Catch Bonito From Shore
Bonito is an open water fish that travel in schools. They eat almost anything. Baits and lures can be used when fishing for bonito. Flashy lures with silver in them tend to attract bonito. You can also chum to attract them to the boat. Trolling is often used when fishing for bonito with plugs.
From the shore, you can cast to them using shiny spoons. A steady retrieve with an erratic lure or an erratic retrieve with a steady running lure will work. Drift fishing can also be used to catch bonito.
Best Bonito Bait
Anchovies and sardines are good baits for bonito.
Mackerel, like Menhaden, is a good bait for bonito fishing.
Menhaden work effectively as bait for catching bonito.
Pilchards work well when targeting bonito.
Squid, menhaden, herring, mackerel, anchovies, and shrimp are great baits for bonito as it feeds on them.
Atlantic bonito feed on threadfins making it a good bait for bonito.
Atlantic bonito also eats alewives and this makes it an effective bait when fishing for bonito.
Silversides are also good baits for Atlantic bonito.
Herring works well as bait to catch bonito.
Bonito eat shrimp and it is an effective bait for bonito.
Best Bonito Lures
Spoons work well as lures for bonito.
Jigs are excellent for catching bonito.
Bonito Fishing Tips
1. Bonito is an open-water fish that moves in schools.
2. Bonito fights very hard when hooked.
3. Baits and lures can be used to catch bonito as they are not picky eaters.
4. Bonito is a tuna species that does not taste good.
5. Bonito are fond of flashy lures with silver as part of the lure.
6. Chumming can be very effective in bringing bonito closer to your boat.
7. Trolling is a fishing method that is effective in catching bonito using plugs.
8. Spoons, plugs, and jigs are used to catch bonito.
9. Bonito tends to go into a state of convulsions when it is captured and this makes it difficult to remove the hook. To resolve this issue, hold it upside down to calm it down.
10. Bonito is a schooling fish.
11. Bonito can be caught all year round.
12. When searching for prey, bonito often leaps out of the water.
13. Bonito are often found jumping at the surface of the ocean in pursuit of prey.
14. Fast-moving bait or lures will work well to attract bonito.
15. Troll at or near the surface for bonito.
16. Do not move your boat through the school of bonito. Instead, move it near the school of fish. Motoring the boat through the school of fish will scatter them and make it difficult to relocate them.
17. Bonito can be found in coastal waters as shallow as 15 feet and as deep as 300 feet.
18. When searching for schools of bonito, keep your eyes open for birds circling above as they might be preying on baitfish that bonito also eat.
19. Jigging and bait casting are other fishing methods that can be used to catch bonito.
The Bottom Line
Bonito is a species of tuna that can be found throughout the world. It is a schooling fish that eats almost anything which makes it a favorite of anglers. In this article, we discussed fishing techniques, fishing equipment, and tips to help you successfully catch bonito.
If you also fish for other fish like Almaco jack, sturgeon, blackfin tuna, yellowfin tuna, blackfin tuna, and wahoo, then you can read how to catch Almaco jack, how to catch sturgeon, how to catch blackfin tuna, how to catch yellowfin tuna, how to catch blackfin tuna, and how to catch wahoo.