Disclosure: We may earn commissions if you purchase products after clicking on a link from our site.
If you’re into hunting coyotes at night, there are a few things you need to know. In this blog post, we will discuss tips and tricks for hunting coyotes at night, as well as how to prepare for the hunt. Coyotes are a challenging animal to hunt, but with the right preparation and knowledge, you can be successful!
How To Hunt Coyotes At Night
1. To spot coyotes, use a headlamp or a spotlight.
2. To attract coyotes to you, use a good call.
3. Discipline yourself to be patient and wait for the coyote to show up and come close enough for a shot.
4. Always try to shoot the coyote in the head or heart for a quick kill.
5. Use decoys. With coyotes being very curious animals, you can lure them closer to you for a shot by using decoys. Do find out which decoys work best in your area.
6. Always use a good rifle and scope. Hunting at night is not the easiest way to hunt. You will need a quality rifle and scope. We discussed how to mount a scope on your rifle and you can read it from this link.
7. Always wear camouflage clothing. You will need to conceal yourself as coyotes have excellent eyesight.
8. Take along a hunting buddy. It’s always a good safety strategy to hunt with someone else. Additionally, two individuals make it easier to implement a hunting strategy to get coyotes.
9. Be certain of your target before you shoot. This will prevent hunting accidents.
10. Be very respectful of private property. Don’t trespass on someone’s land without permission. If you find yourself accidentally on someone’s private property, quickly get out of it.
11. Get to know, understand and follow all of the hunting regulations in your state before you go hunting.
12. Have fun. Hunting coyotes is challenging and it will be easier if you make it a fun experience.
13. Always practice safety protocols, especially when handling firearms. Don’t hunt when you are under the influence of alcohol or drugs.
14. The best time to hunt coyotes is at dawn and dusk; that is the time they are most active.
15. Always try to set up downwind of the area you will be coming from. This will prevent them from picking up your human scent.
16. Be very still and quiet as possible when waiting for a coyote. The slightest noise or movement can alert them and have them running away.
17. Take a coyote hunting class. Many states offer coyote hunting classes to help hunters learn how to effectively and safely hunt coyotes.
18. Make good use of the resources available to you. Visit your local library for books on hunting coyotes. Research the topic on the internet. Do the research and learn as much as you can.
19. Acquire a hunting license. It is required to legally hunt coyotes in most states.
20. Consider joining a hunting club or organization. It is a great way to meet other hunters and learn more about coyote hunting in your area.
21. For safety, always wear blaze orange or other bright colors that will make you visible to other hunters.
22. Always take along a flashlight to scan your surroundings.
23. Make it a habit to always be aware of your surroundings at all times and know where you are in relation to other hunters.
24. Be familiar with your firearm and get a lot of practice with it. Coyotes can be aggressive, therefore you must be ready at all times.
25. Scout the area during the day to identify the best spots to hunt coyotes during the night. Keep an eye out for areas with rabbits or other small game.
26. Consider using a ground blind. It is a good way to conceal you from coyotes.
36. Watch out for eyeshine.
The Bottom Line
Hunting coyotes at night is really challenging, however; you can still be successful if you are well prepared. In this article, we share some tips and tricks on how to hunt coyotes at night. We hope you will find one or two of these tips that will help you take some coyotes home. The best hunting ground blinds on the market today were reviewed and you can read it from this link.