Disclosure: We may earn commissions if you purchase products after clicking on a link from our site.
Do you want to learn how to catch jack crevalle? Do you want to put your angling skills to the test? Jack crevalle is one of the hardest fighting fishes for its size. Jack crevalle can be found all over the world in tropical and subtropical waters. In this article, we will discuss all aspects of fishing for Jack Crevalle and how to catch it.
Table of Contents
- 1 How To Catch Jack Crevalle
- 2 Jack Crevalle Fishing Tackle
- 3 How To Catch Jack Crevalle In The Surf
- 4 How To Catch Jack Crevalle In Texas
- 5 How To Catch Jack Crevalle In Florida
- 6 Best Jack Crevalle Baits
- 7 Best Lures For Jack Crevalle
- 8 Jack Crevalle Fishing Tips
- 9 The Bottom Line
How To Catch Jack Crevalle
Few anglers actually set out fishing for jack crevalle. Most of the time they are caught when anglers are fishing for redfish, spotted seatrout, snook, and other fishes. Jacks are schooling fish and this creates competition for food. The competition brings out the aggression in them and this makes them grab at any bait or lure. Hence, while fishing for other fish, you can easily catch jack crevalle.
However, some anglers do target jacks using bait and lures. The tackle you use depends on the size of the jack. You can use light spinning tackle if you are fishing on the flats for 2-pound jacks. However, if you are opting for the large ones around inshore wrecks, bridges, reefs, deep bays, canals, jetties, docks, and piers, you will need a more conventional tackle. A 7-foot medium-action spinning rod with a 2500 to 3000 series reel will work for most inshore fishing.
Chumming and fly fishing are fishing techniques that are used by anglers to catch jack crevalles. You can use live bait to chum. Drop live baits into the water at intervals and this will attract jacks and other fish to get the bait. By doing this repeatedly at intervals, the fish be expecting more of the bait and you can use that opportunity to send your bait down to get some fish. You can also use your fly fishing skills during the winter months to catch jacks when they are feeding on the surface with baitfish.
Trolling can also be used to catch jacks using lures in winter when they move into area rivers, creeks, and residential canals. Trolling can also be used to catch jack crevalles in open waters, inshore bays, and passes.
You can also drift the flats for jacks. Anglers move their boat upwind and up-tide of the flats, casting lures in front of the boat or live baits behind the boat or beneath the boat. You can use jigs when drifting the flats.
4. Vertical Jigging
Vertical jigging is another productive fishing technique to catch jack crevalles. In waters deeper than 15 feet, you drop a 1/4-ounce to 1/2-ounce jig down to the bottom. As the boat drifts along, the jig bounces up and down. It will kick up little puffs of sand each time it hits the bottom. This action mimics the crab and it attracts Jack to think that is a crab doing that.
Jack Crevalle Fishing Tackle
You can use the regular tackle used to catch most fish like spotted seatrout, redfish, and others. A 7-foot medium action rod with a 2500 or 3000 series reel will work for a 5-pound-sized jack crevalle. You will need better tackle for bigger jacks.
How To Catch Jack Crevalle In The Surf
When fishing for jack crevalle in the surf, look for areas with deep cuts or rips. These are areas where you will most likely find jack crevalle. Additionally, keep your eyes open for diving birds circling over the water. They will be targeting baitfish and that is a good sign that jack crevalle will be after the same baitfish.
Mullet, herring, shrimp, crabs, menhaden, and pilchards are some of the baits used when fishing for jack crevalle. Additionally, diving plugs, spoons, topwater plugs, and jigs can also be used when fishing for jack crevalle.
Bottom fishing, fly fishing, and casting are fishing methods used when fishing for jack crevalle. Always set the drag loose since jacks can pull hard and can easily take your fishing rig with them. An incoming tide is the best time to fish for Jack when fishing at the beach.
How To Catch Jack Crevalle In Texas
When fishing for jack crevalle, look for areas with strong currents, and reefs. May to August are the best months to go fishing for jacks.
They prey on crustaceans, fish, mullet, herring, menhaden, shrimp, crabs, and pilchards. Lures such as jigs, diving plugs, and spoons can also be used when fishing for jacks. Bottom fishing, casting, jigging, fly fishing, trolling, and drift fishing can be used when fishing for jacks in Texas.
How To Catch Jack Crevalle In Florida
When fishing for jacks, look for jetties, rock walls, bridge systems, and reefs. They can be found close to these structures as they wait to ambush their prey. Menhaden, herring, mullet, crustaceans, pilchards, and shrimp are some of the bait you can use when fishing for jacks.
Additionally, fly fishing, casting, bottom fishing, drift fishing, and trolling are some of the fishing methods used to catch jack crevalle.
Best Jack Crevalle Baits
Live mullet, like pilchards and herring, is a good bait for Jack Crevalle.
Herring is also a good bait for Jack Crevalle, especially live herring.
Pilchards, herring, and mullet are some of the best baits for Jack Crevalle, especially when they are live.
Shrimp is also a good bait for many fish including Jack Crevalle.
Baitfish is always a good option for not only Jack Crevalle but other fish as well.
Jack Crevalle is not picky when it comes to eating. It will eat almost anything including Pinfish, even if it is dead.
Jack Crevalle will attack almost anything and eat it but especially schools of fish like Croaker.
Live grunts are also great for catching Jack Crevalle.
Best Lures For Jack Crevalle
1. Topwater Plugs
Topwater plugs are a good lure to get the attention of Jack Crevalle.
Spoons are also a good lure to catch Jack Crevalle. Any lure that is noisy which will get the attention of Jack Crevalle will work well.
3. Bucktail Jigs
Bucktail jigs are also good to catch Jack Crevalle as it disrupts the water and get the attention of Jacks.
Poppers worked quickly and aggressively will catch Jack Crevalle.
Kerkbaits and Poppers when worked aggressively, will get the attention of Jack Crevalle.
Jack Crevalle Fishing Tips
1. When you are fishing for jack crevalle, always be on the lookout for areas of the water that appear to be “boiling”. When schools of hungry jack crevalles are devouring baitfish near the surface then this happens and it looks as if the water is boiling.
2. Use large live bait when fishing for Jack Crevalle.
3. Jack Crevalle can resist a lively baitfish.
4. You will get the attention of a jack crevalle with anything that is noisy or disrupts the water.
5. Jack Crevalle is attracted by fast-moving targets, therefore retrieves quickly with hard, fast jerks.
6. Fish for Jack Crevalle in open water areas and cast near seawalls where it corrals mullet or other prey against the wall.
7. Make sure you have at least 200 yards of line spooled up and use 20 pounds to 40-pound monofilament leader.
8. Jack Crevalle may not get hooked on their first attempt. keep reeling until you feel a solid hook-up and the jack making an attempt to run.
9. Be careful when you handle a jack. Don’t grab a jack crevalle by the lip as they have very strong jaws. Avoid the sharp spines along their dorsal fins.
10. When fishing for jack crevalle, be on the lookout for diving birds.
11. Look for jacks around structures like rocks, jetties, bridges, docks, etc.
12. Use a shock leader to prevent the jack from fraying the line.
13. You can use artificial lures and flies to catch jacks.
14. A stout hook is required when fishing with artificial lures.
15. You can fly fish for jack when they are found feeding on the surface during the winter months.
16. Jack Crevalle is a schooling fish. Cast to the edge of a feeding school, not in the middle.
17. Fish inlets and passes for Jack Crevalles.
18. You can catch Jack Crevalles in the surf.
19. Fish for Jack Crevalles in the night around lighted docks, piers, jetties, seawalls, and bridges.
20. Look for Jack Crevalles on reefs and wrecks.
21. You will need a heavy tackle and strong hooks for large jacks.
22. Chumming with live bait is effective when fishing for jacks.
23. You can drift the flats for jacks.
24. Trolling can be used to catch jack crevalle using lures when they move to area rivers, creeks, and residential canals during the winter months.
25. You can drift, anchor, and fish from the shore in inlets and passes.
26. Most anglers use plugs when trolling for Jack Crevalles.
27. Vertical jigging is a very productive fishing technique for catching Jack Crevalles.
The Bottom Line
Jack Crevalle is a favorite gamefish for many anglers as it puts up a spirited fight when hooked and will never give up the fight. It can be found around the world in tropical and subtropical areas. Jacks aggressively attack baits and lures as the competition in the school requires aggressiveness.
In this article, we shared information about jack crevalle and fishing techniques to help you catch more jacks. If you are interested in catching cobia, ladyfish, and mackerel, then read how to catch cobia, how to catch ladyfish, and how to catch mackerel.